As a life-long perfectionist, I know what it’s like to battle myself for every successful thing I’ve ever done in my life.
And, over the years I’ve discovered a great way to turn the crippling self-doubt of perfectionist thinking into success by using a couple of simple techniques.
Topics in the show include:
1. What is a Perfectionist?
2. Signs that you might be a Perfectionist
3. The two extreme types of Perfectionism
4. Perfectionists throughout history
5. Technique to turn your “bad” perfectionism into “good” in order to achieve the success you desire
I didn’t realize it for a long time but my bouts of self-doubt, crippling procrastination, never being satisfied with my accomplishments, emotional eating, depression, body dysmorphia, social anxiety, anger issues, etc. all came from being a “Bad” Perfectionist (in psychology it’s called maladaptive perfectionism).
But here’s what’s confusing, intermixed within all of the bad stuff, I’ve also had times of high self-esteem, agreeableness, academic success, strong social interaction, a focus on personal integrity and can be pretty on point and inspiring in my quest for the truth (which in my case is finding a way to help as many people as I can by exposing the truth of how the world works and what you need to do to dial yourself in to your most fulfilling life).
Some examples of how my perfectionist thinking has influenced my life include
• Changed my college major five times and took five years to graduate
• Gave up on pursuing song writing because I didn’t find my unique voice/sound
• Took me 10 years to complete my PhD
• Still working on my program
Good news is……
Perfectionism is a scale from bad to good (psychology: multidimensional characteristic)…and if you use the simple technique I talk about in the show, you can use your perfectionist energy to propel you towards accomplishing your goals instead of it weighing you down in self-doubt.
Do you have your own perfectionist story? Let me know at www.javabud.com
The website also has all of the other podcasts, helpful videos and a little freebie.
I know this post isn’t perfect, but I (finally) don’t care…peace…